Sunday, November 2, 2008


I have noticed that in my microaquarium contains many worm species, such as the annelid photographed above. Last week i noticed one Turbellaria, better known as a flatworm. This week i observed three flatworms. I was able to confirm this analysis through my source Fresh Water Biology by Henry Ward and George Whipple. This week, however, unlike last week, I had more time in the lab and was able to observe many more species. Toward the bottom of the aquarium I was able to observe three different annelids. Specifically they were Aeolosoma. They were clear, long, and sectioned worms. Since they were clear I could see red dots in them, and I also was able to observe them digesting their food. I confirmed this analysis through the same source Fresh Water Biology. Other than worms I was able to notice three different species of protists. One was the Arcella which is a sarcodinid. It was a yellow type of amoeba that sat stationary in the water and had a very noticeable single central vacuole. I also noticed another type of sarcodinid called a actinosphaerium. It was clearish purple and had many hairs surrounding its body. Its body was round and multinucleated and was stationary in the water. The third type of protist I observed was a difflugia. This sarcodinid was brown, round, and stationary. It was also a type of amoeba. All these protists that I observed were confirmed using the source Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa by D.J. Patterson.

No comments: